Sunday, October 27, 2013

How To: Limit Your Procrastinating

I am the first to say and admit that I am the United States planet's biggest procrastinator. I push off assignments until the night off until I swamped with work and cram studying {which isn't smart!} I get sucked into Facebook and Youtube {curse your endless videos/suggested video tab!} and I don't really seem to have a care until when I'm stressed out. I've really been working hard on how to limit my procrastination. I hope you find these tips helpful!

#1: NO DISTRACTIONS: We are only human and I've done it too. Oh I'm only going to 'quickly' check [insert social media site here]" An hour later and a million photos guiltily stalked {we have all been there!} you feel frustrated. To avoid these situations, don't look at them. When you get home, put your phone across the room from where you have to work and don't go on the computer unless you really need to. I use "Do Not Disturb" on my iPhone (iOs7 - Slide Up for Control Center and press the moon. I also use "Self Control" on computer!

#2: REWARDS: Studying for that annoying AP Gov test is going to be dull. Reward yourself. Studies have shown that a solid twenty-minutes of studying is the most helpful, so study for TWENTY WHOLE MINUTES and then reward yourself with a "serving size of Swedish Fish" for example. Keep the rewards easy and short. Don't reward yourself by making a cake. Do that on the weekend.

#3: PRIORITIZE: Make to-do lists and follow them. Rank the highest priority and work down. Don't due a whole project that is due in three weeks when you have a huge test the next day. Split things up into manageable chunks so it is easier.

#4: TALK TO A FRIEND: Get a friend in on the action. Tell them to remind you to keep at it. Typically having a partner will encourage you to keep going .

How do you limit your procrastination?

No comments:

Post a Comment