Monday, November 18, 2013

5 Ways to Get Ready For Bed

Sleep has been a major theme that has been on the noggin lately. I have been really bad about falling into a nightly routine. I'm really trying to work hard on relaxing before bed. The hour before bed is extremely vital to the way you will sleep that night. For instance, if you chug a XL coffee along with a pint of chocolate ice cream an hour before you hit the sack, chances are you aren't going to be sleeping to well. I've come up with my Five Ways to Get Ready for Bed.


#1 Good Night iPad: Not the new kids book! Seriously. Studies have shown that too much screen time before bed is very bad for your health. All screens should be off for at least 30 minutes before you sleep. I plug in all my electronics about 45 minutes and do my last minute checking of social media (I'm an addict!) Then let those electronics go to sleep too. Make sure your alarm is set for the next day and your ringer is off! 

#2 In a Mood for Food: Say goodbye to that cheesecake that has your name on it. Stop eating at least two hours before you go to bed. This way, all that food can digest inside of you and won't be the cause of extra weight that you won't want later. If you are drawn back to food, brush your teeth so you won't be tempted to snack a little. 

#3: All of the Lights Ambiance is key. When it gets dark, I turn all the lights on in my room. It keeps me awake when I'm doing work. Then, about an hour before bed, I turn off my overhead so it is just my desk and table lamps. It gives the room a cozy glow and gets me sleepy and tired. I naturally fall into the state of wanting to go to bed and it feels so good to sink into bed when you are tired. 

#4:  Sound of Music Music that is soft and calming can really help you before you sleep. Play the nice ocean breeze or a tropical rainforest to make you tired before you snooze. 

#5: Avoid Late Night "Crazies": Avoid getting angry with your roommate, family members, or friends. Late night time before bed should be relaxing! Enjoy yourself before bed. A good attitude before bed = good nights sleep + dreams! 

What is your bedtime routine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment